Skip to main content

Sabbatical travel series - Budapest

Budapest was the perfect starting point to ease into my solo travels. I met another Indian who was traveling abroad for the first time and was nervous about how to get to her Airbnb from the airport. We shared a cab and chatted all the way to the hotel. She was excited to start a new job the next day and from what little I saw as we drove through the city, I was excited to see all that it had to offer. When we reached my hotel, we wished each other and bid goodbye.

The manager of the hotel I had booked had contacted me earlier to check my arrival time to make sure someone was there when I reached the hotel as it didn’t have a 24-hour reception. Despite my flight being delayed by an hour, there was a person waiting at the hotel reception to welcome me, show me to my room and was kind enough to share the list of nearby restaurants. The hotel was clean and cozy and had a small kitchen and dining area. It is in the city center in Pest; a stone’s throw away from the train station and with a wide variety of restaurants suitable for all pockets and tastes in the neighborhood. I freshened up, settled in and the moment I rested my head on the pillow, I was fast asleep.

I woke up bright and early the next morning and, after a hearty breakfast, set out to the train station, bought a 3-day travel pass and made my way to the castle hill in Buda. Budapest comprises 2 districts, Buda and Pest, that are separated by the river Danube. Buda is the older hilly part of the city where historical buildings such as the Buda castle and St. Matthias church are located while Pest is the modern part housing most businesses including the Hungarian parliament.

As soon as I got off the bus at castle hill, I was in front of the awe-inspiring and magnificent St. Matthias church with the large tower and colorful orange tiled roofs. There was a huge crowd of tourists admiring and taking pictures of the church and the Fisherman’s bastion nearby. I spent some time enjoying the beauty of the church, fisherman’s bastion, trinity column and statue of St. Stephen in the square and taking in the panoramic views of the Danube River and Budapest including the parliament building.


I made my way to the Buda tower square, which was quite empty and a kind lady, who was waiting for her husband who had decided to climb to the top of the tower, took my picture in front of the tower.

After that, it was time to walk to the Habsburg gate and the royal palace, part of which houses the Hungarian national gallery and national museum. The courtyard near one of the entrances of the palace has the very pretty Matthias fountain. 

After all the walking and sightseeing, I stopped at a nearby café to rest my legs and have some seriously tasty fresh orange juice. 

It was now time to explore some sights on the Pest side. I took a bus to the bottom of the castle hill and walked across the chain bridge to the Pest side and then to the Shoes on the Danube bank. It is a memorial to the Hungarian Jews who were shot and executed along the riverbank in 1944-45. It was very touching to see those iron shoes set into the concrete where people had offered flowers as homage to the thousands who had lost their lives. 

    
 
 
The next stop was the Hungarian Parliament. It is a beautiful stately building situated on the banks of the Danube with vast grounds, statues, lawns, and the Hungarian flag flying high in front of the building. 

After exploring the facades and grounds of the parliament building, I started making my way back to the hotel. On the way, I made a stop in front of St. Stephens Basilica and had late lunch in a nearby restaurant.

I passed the giant Ferris wheel and stopped at the market in Erzsebet Square to have a look at the souvenirs before continuing to the hotel.

It was a packed and fun first day. As I was relaxing in bed, I pinged a friend and she happened to mention that a mutual friend’s daughter was in Budapest. I arranged to meet her for lunch the next day. 

On the second and last day, I had a lighter schedule. The first stop was the Great Synagogue, which is the largest synagogue in Europe. The synagogue was less than 5 min walk from the hotel and was a quick stop as I didn’t go inside. It is a beautiful brown, orange and light-yellow tiled and brick building with tall towers.  

I went back to the Erzsebet Square market to buy a souvenir. The only souvenirs that I wanted to buy everywhere were fridge magnets. So, it was a quick stop to select the one I liked. 

I proceeded along the famous Andrassy Avenue that was lined with all the luxury boutiques at the start of the avenue, stopped at the opera house and went past the house of terror and huge mansions to the end of the avenue. 

I boarded a train at the end of the avenue to Heroes Square. The tall and striking Millennium monument takes center stage in the square with statues of Magyar and Hungarian heroes.

It was now time to meet my friend’s daughter for lunch to go to the Indian restaurant for lunch. I waited for some time before my friend’s daughter came and we chatted about her exchange program, my itinerary and everything else of common interest over roti and dal. We stopped for coffee in a nearby Starbucks and she headed back home. It was raining lightly. I lingered in the café for a while longer to wait out the rain.

I had booked an evening sunset cruise and started walking to the boarding point when it stopped raining. It was slightly cold and windy, and I was a little early. I waited for half an hour before they started the boarding for the cruise. I was greeted with a glass of bubbly that I picked and went to the open top deck. I settled down in a good seat to enjoy the views and take some good pictures of the castle hill and the parliament just as the sun started setting. It is wonderful to witness the transition from being able to see all the intricacies, design, and the finer architectural elements of the buildings in daylight to admiring the beautifully lit up views as it gets dark. I highly recommend the cruise due to the spectacular views of Budapest from the vantage point of the river. The cruise was the perfect high note with which to end the day and Budapest sightseeing. 



I picked up a sandwich to go and returned to the hotel looking forward to a brand-new day and a brand-new city to explore and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What you see is what you get

Back in my childhood days in the eighties, Television was a luxury only the rich could afford. Good quality TVs were generally imported from Singapore which was the electronics haven in those days. Singapore flight passengers could be seen, surrounded by a minimum of 4-5 huge boxes, standing in long queues to clear customs at the airport. There were also the Desi brands – the Dyanoras and the Solidaires that were owned by people who couldn’t afford a trip to Singapore to get a international brand TV. In my small hometown, there were only two TVs for the entire neighborhood and the Indian government controlled Doordarshan was the emperor of the TV world. TV antennas would literally reach the sky. We would be especially friendly with the kids from these houses in order to wheedle an invitation to watch some TV. Returning home from school, I would dump my school bag on the bed, quickly change out of the school uniform, drink the dreaded milk and gathering all other friends, run to meet my

Glimpses from my whirlwind 90-day sabbatical travels

  One of the best policies that my company offers is a 3-month paid sabbatical on completing 10 years. I had toyed with many ideas on how to spend these hard earned 3 months – write a book, upskill myself, find a hobby outside work, do a personal project but none of these excited me as much as traveling did. The idea of going backpacking through Europe without too much planning and experiencing each city like a local was something that I had only read about. I had never in my wildest dreams imagined that I would do it myself one day. After many false starts and stops due to work and personal priorities, I finally applied to take my sabbatical in May 2020. I made up my mind to try backpacking but with a slight (or rather a big) twist – something that I would feel comfortable doing solo. The plan was to choose solo traveler friendly places to visit, decide how many days to spend in each place, book accommodation and leave the local sightseeing open. I created a 6-week itinerary that woul

Are we as unswayed by advertisements as we think……

I am as annoying in complaining about the advertisements in the middle of interesting programs on TV as the ads are in annoying me. Have you ever said to yourself “There is nothing more annoying than a soft drink ad in the middle of my favorite game of cricket or a gripping movie or TV series”. Whenever I see these ads, I swear I will never buy that product. But, when I think about it, ultimately, I think Marketers do manage to “pull a fast one” on me and achieve their purpose by exerting exactly the kind of influence that I think I am wise to. I think I understand why these ads work on most of us. The market is now flooded with numerous brands. When you go shopping for a product, you will most likely see a whole range of brands that would leave anyone baffled. You know a couple of these brands from TV. Human nature being the way it is, you would like to appear informed. You would want to feel happy about your purchase. You would like to feel that you know yourself best and that you