Skip to main content

Loves Music, Loves to Dance – book review

This is the second book that I have read by Mary Higgins Clark. I like her style of writing. The novelty in this book is that the killer is introduced right in the beginning and he/she talks about how the whole killing act started and what he/she plans to do next. Of course, the killer's identity is revealed only in the end although you can guess somewhere in the middle of the book who the killer is.

The story is about a couple of women (Erin and Darcy) wanting to help a friend who is doing research on the dangers of answering personal ads. They decide to answer the ads to contribute to the research. Erin goes missing and is found killed.

Darcy is the one who had suggested that they help their friend and also have some harmless fun meeting interesting people. She is driven by guilt and is determined to find the killer. Darcy discovers that Erin is one of many such victims. There is the usual whole bunch of suspects cleverly woven into the story based on the clues found and the common pattern in all the linked murders - someone who knew three of the victims, someone who loves to dance, someone who is good at sketching etc etc. The author maintains the suspense quite well although like I wrote earlier, if you are a thriller novel fan like me, you can pretty much guess who the killer is. You know the deal - the one who is portrayed as the most trustworthy of the many characters usually turns out to be the killer. I won’t spoil the fun for you all. All in all, a good read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What you see is what you get

Back in my childhood days in the eighties, Television was a luxury only the rich could afford. Good quality TVs were generally imported from Singapore which was the electronics haven in those days. Singapore flight passengers could be seen, surrounded by a minimum of 4-5 huge boxes, standing in long queues to clear customs at the airport. There were also the Desi brands – the Dyanoras and the Solidaires that were owned by people who couldn’t afford a trip to Singapore to get a international brand TV. In my small hometown, there were only two TVs for the entire neighborhood and the Indian government controlled Doordarshan was the emperor of the TV world. TV antennas would literally reach the sky. We would be especially friendly with the kids from these houses in order to wheedle an invitation to watch some TV. Returning home from school, I would dump my school bag on the bed, quickly change out of the school uniform, drink the dreaded milk and gathering all other friends, run to meet my...

Sabbatical travel series - Poland

It was a week into my solo trip, and I was enjoying exploring places at my pace and schedule. As I moved from one city to another, I realized that they were all pretty much similar in terms of sights to see – old town, churches, castles with most of them having a water body in the form of a sea, river or lake. Further, just when I was getting the hang of things in one place, it was time to move to another. However, with a limited budget and a desire to see as much of Europe as possible, it was the best itinerary.   Poland was my next stop and included three cities, Wroclaw, Krakow and Warsaw. A friend suggested halting for a day at Wroclaw from Prague before heading to Krakow and to check out the gnomes spread all over the city. I reached Wroclaw in the afternoon and after checking in, I picked up a map of gnomes at the reception and hurriedly went to the market square. It was a slightly cold day and the brisk pace helped. The first building that I came across in the old town area ...

Harassed by the Traffic Inspector

Around a week back, my friend and I had a strange encounter with the traffic police. It would have been almost funny had it not been for the Policeman’s serious disregard for the welfare of the commuters. It was around 8 pm in the evening, a busy day, as is the case on all weekdays, with lots of traffic. I was driving back home from work. A friend was with me and we had just passed Krumbigal Road when we were asked to pull over by the Traffic police at the junction of Krumbigal Road and RV Road. This junction – Siddaiah Circle/Lalbagh West Gate circle does not have traffic lights and there is a traffic police regulating traffic. When I was asked to pull over, I thought it was for a routine check of my driver’s license, car insurance and other documents. The traffic inspector’s assistant asked to look at my license and when I gave it to him, he asked me to get down and talk to the traffic inspector. When I walked over to talk to him, he asked me, without any preamble, if I would pay...